Who knew having kids could change everything? I started this blog to keep my family and friends up to date on all the adventures and mishaps of being a mom.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Back to Back

I decided to be nice and move some furniture in our loft (so that it would be all set up for Alex when he came home) two weeks before Christmas. I didn't know how heavy our TV stand was until I tried to move it and felt a pull in my back. I kept waiting for the pain to start but nothing so I just went on. Then Saturday I woke up with a tight back. I was still able to do everything but it was just tight, tighter still on Sunday and I couldn't stand up holding Emersyn anymore. At church, Alex had to take her whenever we stood up and then gave her back to me when we were sitting.

I had taken the whole week before Christmas off to spend time with Emersyn since I work all year. I was so excited to be home but by Monday I was in lots of pain. I still trudged through and tried to ignore it while taking her to see Santa and Christmas shopping, but by Wednesday I was miserable. I was in extreme pain and could barely walk. I called Alex crying hysterically and asked him to come back home from work and take me to urgent care. Once there they told me that I had a pinched sciatic nerve (yippee!!). I was put on pain killers, muscle relaxers and a shot to relieve the pain. I was told to take 4 Advil every 4 hours too and to stay on top of my meds. I tried to relax the rest of the day/week and Alex was a huge help when he was home from work taking most of the duties from me.

Then Friday 12/30 came.... Alex was working in his office when I heard him cry out in pain. I rushed to his office and he was on his knees. He couldn't stand up or lie down. He was frozen in pain.... from his BACK! He had just moved to stand but he must have strained the muscle earlier in the week to weaken it. I tried to help him and he eventually was able to lie down to see if it would go away. I gave him some of my pain killers and muscle relaxers but it wasn't working. He called his dad to take him to the ER. He couldn't even stand up and I was no help since my back still hurt with trying to lift him. After about an hour, he pushed through the pain to stand. His dad came and took him to the ER while Emersyn and I stayed home. He came home a few hours later with "just a severely pulled muscle". He is now on his own brands of pain killers, muscle relaxers and got his own shot.

We are hoping that 2012 keeps the back problems away!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment